It’s not an officially marked holiday like Christmas, Easter, and others, but when Valentine’s Day is around the corner, people all over the world both young and old, consciously or unconsciously start thinking of what kind of gift to get for their loved one/s and who to spend the day with. Valentine’s Day is celebrated by many people around the globe, regardless of culture or beliefs. I will be sharing some great ideas for Valentine’s Day gifts below, so read on.
I still recall the very first time I actually celebrated Valentine’s Day, I’m even ashamed to narrate the story because I was so naive. The whole campus was on fire for love, one could literally smell love in the air. I had no idea what to do for my then “boyfriend”, so I bought a faux rose flower and a bottle of sweet wine(who buys flowers for a man? buaahaa). Well, we spent some time together, he professed his undying love and every sweet nothing you can imagine, I was swept off my feet, to cut a long story short, that night I officially agreed to be his girlfriend, a relationship that lasted for less than a year hahahaaa. Like I mentioned before, I was so naive and not exposed, didn’t really know what the story behind the holiday was, and was just doing it because it seemed like the right thing to do since everyone was doing it. In other words, I was just following the crowd. Some people don’t seem to know the different stories behind this day, the most popular one is the one that narrates the account of Saint Valentine of Rome who according to legend, was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry, and for ministering to persecuted Christians. The legend goes further to tell us that Saint Valentine healed the daughter of his jailer, and before his execution, he wrote her a letter and signed, “Your Valentine.” We’re told that in the 18th-century England, February 14th evolved into an occasion where lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, greeting cards, and many other treats. Source: wikipedia
I believe that in order to have a blast on Valentine’s Day, it is needful to understand what love really is.
What is love? Love is a word that has been misused by so many of people. When you say you love someone, those words mean more than what you can imagine; it’s not fairy tale, it means you’re ready to go to the ends of the earth for the person in question. It doesn’t mean you feel like having sex with them, it means much more than that, sex is just the icing on the cake. Well, we are told that there are different kinds of love, eight of them to be precise:
- “Eros” or Erotic Love. The first kind of love is Eros.
- “Philia” or Affectionate Love. …
- “Storge” or Familiar Love. …
- “Ludus” or Playful Love. …
- “Mania” or Obsessive Love. …
- “Pragma” or Enduring Love. …
- “Philautia” or Self Love. …
- “Agape” or Selfless Love.
Agape love may be last on the list, but this love surpasses all the others. This love is unconditional, selfless, not self-seeking but rather seeking the best for others, it is unselfish. Agape love is the love God has for us, this kind of love is very sacrificial. It is explained in more detail in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud…
Apart from Obsessive Love, people who are in healthy marriages or relationships tend to experience all the other kinds of love. In marriage for instance, there needs to be some sort of attraction between the couple, they have to be affectionate and kind with each other, as a family, a couple should most definitely possess love for their family, if you and your spouse are not playful, check yourselves again, we all know that love endures many wrongs. Others may see Self Love as being selfish, but it’s not; You cannot give what you don’t have, one has to have love for themselves before they can love others or a spouse.
What Valentine’s Day Shouldn’t Be About: Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be a day when all sorts of fornication and adultery take place. Unfortunately, a lot of sexual sins are committed on this day; unwanted pregnancies, many of which end in an abortion, many STDs are contracted, many ladies and men are deceived into thinking they are loved.
Once you have found the right person to spend this day with, finding the perfect gift for them could be a total hassle. For that reason, I have listed below a few gift ideas you might find helpful.
7 GIFT IDEAS FOR HER:
1. I love this Talking Kissing Bears for Her so much, I think it’s so cute. You can either give her just this or pair it with something else she loves and appreciates.
2. If my husband gave me a mug like this Best Wife Ever Mug, no doubt I would drink my favorite tea in it every day. If your wife or fiancee is a coffee or tea lover, she would really appreciate a gift like this.
3. Now I know people don’t appreciate cards the way they did years back, but I bet your better half will find this Valentines Day Best Gift Card very interesting; Just pair it with a bouquet of flowers and you will be well on your way to having a blast.
4. If your wife is someone who loves to pen down her feelings, she will find a What I Love About You Journal very useful. Writing down what you love about your better half is such a great idea.
5. This Love Bugs gift may seem little, but it carries more than meets the eye. Who doesn’t love a chocolate treat every now and then.
6. If none of the gifts mentioned above seems like an idea of a perfect gift for her, why not treat her like the queen that she already is? Sweep her off her feet by taking over the kitchen that evening and making her her favorite meal. Trust me, she will appreciate you for a long time.
7. If cooking has never been your forte, you can still make things happen. Invite someone over to do the cooing or take her to a very exquisite restaurant and treat her to a candlelit dinner. Please check with the restaurant first to determine what they have on the menu before taking her there. I’m saying this out of an experience Ben and I had on Valentine’s Day of 2014; we walked into this restaurant, happy to share the evening over a delicious meal, only to be served stale chicken. Now, this was a restaurant we had been to before, we never expected this to happen, but it did.
7 GIFT IDEAS FOR HIM:
If you’re like me, you have probably struggled with finding the right gift for your husband. Until recently, I really struggled in this area. Below are some ideas that could help you to find the perfect gift for your spouse.
1. You can never go wrong with a Slim Wallet Card Holder. One of the gifts my own hubby really appreciates is a brand new wallet for his cards, and I think every man would find it useful.
2. If your better half is a beard grower, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t mind this Unscented Beard Oil and Beard Comb. The good thing about this comb is that it comes with an unscented oil. I think it is a great gift.
3. I love this Unique Key Chain gift so much!!! It is indeed unique and tells a whole story in just a key chain.
4. I firmly believe that a family that prays together, stays together. Prayer is one powerful tool that all couples should use in order to keep their marriage strong. I find this Love Praying Figurine a sure reminder to both the husband and wife, or fiance/e that prayer should never be neglected.
5. This Matching Tie and Cufflinks will give your man that formal business look. Any man man who is into business meetings will appreciate a gift this cute.
6. If non of the aforementioned gifts will do for your man, you can be creative in other ways; plan a trip just for the two of you to a nearby destination, or plan to have someone come over and baby sit the kids, book a hotel for the night, and make it a surprise Valentine’s Day gift for your hubby.
7. Make a collage of some of your favorite photos together, buy a cheap frame and insert the pictures. Everyone loves memories, and I’m sure he will appreciate this gift and hold it very dear.
Do you have more ideas? Please share them in the comments section, and have fun preparing for Valentine’s.